An unavoidable fact of pet bird ownership is that these beautiful creatures that we choose to share our lives with are extremely messy animals. It seems at times that the only rule that some parrots follow when eating is to make as much of a mess as possible. They simply drop or throw excess food with no reservations.
In their natural habitat, this does not pose a problem. All of the debris from the bird’s diet is spread around as it eats and simply biodegrades over time. This is not the case for captive birds as you undoubtedly know if you spend any time around them. It is not something they can control in the artificial environments we provide for them.
Birdcage seed catchers and cage skirts will not eliminate the volume of debris that your bird produces, but it will help keep it contained inside the bird’s cage, making your life easier and helping your home look better. Here are two that might save you some daily cleaning time.
Bird Cage Seed Catcher
This seed catcher from Prevue will help you control the mess generated by your pet birds. It is available in 3 sizes to fit the dimensions of most standard cages. You can get the seed catcher in various colors to look good on your cage. The seed catcher is durable and washable. It is easy to use and allows air to flow freely into the cage.
Bird Cage Seed Skirt
This seed guard is designed to fit securely around your bird’s cage with heavy-duty top and bottom elastic bands. It is easily cleaned in your washing machine and is available in 3 sizes to fit a variety of cages. The catcher is constructed of airy fabric that does not impede light from entering the cage. It’s a great way to minimize the mess around a bird’s cage.
Benefits of Using a Bird Cage Guard
- A skirt will confine food debris to the inside of your bird’s cage.
- Cleanup time will be shortened by using a cage guard.
- Protect nearby walls and furnishings from thrown fruit with a cage skirt.
What to Look for in a Bird Cage Guard or Skirt
- You want a skirt that fits snugly around the cage to keep as much waste inside as possible. Various sizes are available so search for the right fit.
- The cage skirt should be washable.
- Material is important so you want a cage skirt that allows air and light to get through to your bird.