Keeping a bird cage inside your home is great. Having a bird cage in the living room is even better because you can then interact with your pet birds more often. However, some floors in your house will be easily damaged by any bird waste if you’re not careful, which is especially true if you’re using carpet. Over time, this damage can become irreparable and you might have to refloor or recarpet an entire section of your home all because of the bird cage placed on top of it. This can be super expensive! Luckily a simple bird cage mat will be able to overcome this problem and they’re cheap to buy as well.
2 Top Bird Cage Mats for Sale
Listed below are the best bird cage mats that are currently on offer:
The benefits of a bird cage mat:
- Keeps floor clean from bird waste – most bird cage mats are large enough to cover the entire base of your bird cage and more. This allows them to easily catch any spillages, seeds and waste that might fall onto the floor. Plus, if you have an extra large cage then simply buy another mat.
- Prevents dents and scratches – some bird cages can be very heavy and even if they’re on wheels they can end up leaving dents in the carpet or wooden flooring. Luckily, bird cage mats are thick and durable enough to protect your floor from such damage.
- Easy to clean – simply, fast and hassle-free. Just toss your mat into the washing machine for a fast spin and you’ll be able to reuse it in no time.
- Absorbent and Waterproof – some birds (especially parrots) are mischievous and will chuck their water out of the cage. The waterproof materials used on the mat will prevent this spillage from hitting the floor and their absorbent properties will help to soak up anything that is nearby.
What to look for in a bird cage mat
When buying a cage mat to protect the floor against the mess from an indoor aviary or bird cage, you want to think about the following:
- Size – you want the mat to be able to be able to cover the size of your bird cage and a little bit extra. Buy 2 mats if necessary.
- Anti-microbial – this’ll prevent smells and means you have to wash the mat less.
- Durable – when made from strong materials, your bird mat will have a longer lasting life.
- Bounce resistant – some mats come with a soft surface that will easily catch seeds and waste.
Accessories for bird cage mats
There are a few things that will make cleaning your bird cage and bird cage mats even easier.
Fluppi hand vacuum cleaner
A miniature, hand held vacuum cleaner that will make cleaning any bird seed that has dropped onto your mat fast and easy. Simply roll over the waste and it’ll be picked up.
Bird poop remover spray & odor remover
When cleaning your bird cage, you might need to disinfect it as well from parrot poop. However, you’ll also want to use a disinfectant that is bird safe – otherwise you can harm the health of your birds. This disinfectant can also be used on bird mats as a temporary measure until you give the mat a full wash.