You’re only 10 steps away from building your first bird aviary. This how-to guide will show you how to plan, measure, build and furnish your very own homemade aviary.
1) Build an indoor or outdoor aviary?
First, you’ll need to decide whether you want to build an indoor or an outdoor aviary as each one comes with it’s own advantages…
Pros of an indoor aviary
- Sheltered from bad weather (such as storms and hurricanes)
- Protected against any intruders such as foxes, raccoons etc.
- Easier to play and socialise with your birds (since they’ll be in the house next to you)
- Birds are less likely to escape
- You don’t require as durable materials since inside there’s no bad weather
- Generally cheaper than an outdoor aviary
Pros of an outdoor aviary
- Healthier environment for your birds as they get more fresh air and sunlight
- You’re generally likely to have more space and be able to build things of a larger size, something that is also better for your birds.
- Takes up less space inside your home
- There’s less mess and bird odor in your house
- Usually an outdoor aviary is big enough to be a walkin aviary, so you can sit inside with your birds. This may not be the case with an indoor aviary.